Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Intro letter


My name is Justin Hoskins and I am from Fairfield CA which is in northen California about 45min east of San Francisco. After gradating from Fairfield High I attended the local community college for a couple years switching majors most every semester. Moved to San Diego and attended Grossmont CC where the same indecision followed me until I took a job traveling. A couple CC's later I finally quit traveling and arrived her at CSUSM.
My experience with technology is not that extensive but through college I have become comfortable email, research, and word processing. Having friends and family all over the country I use the internet daily to communicate and until a couple years ago I didn't have a TV so it also became the center of my entertainment. For school I spend the majority of my time on MS Word. At home I have the older version and at school I use the 07 version. I've had many friends try to drag me over to bright, happy, and virus free world of Mac but I couldn't stand to part with that much money and it wouldn't be computing without a frozen computer now and then. Outside of that I have a fairly basic cell phone and digital camera that I've grown attached to.
The inclusion of a commitment to "ongoing service" I think is important because the profession of teaching is not just a job, it's an adventure that is contributing and shaping either peoples lives or their experience or conception of education. Education is one of the most determinative aspects of a persons life and if they have a negative view or experience of education then they are all the more likely to avoid it. A commitment to "social justice" is also an important approach because without addressing the underlying inequities that hinder education in society as a whole, effective instruction is made that much more difficult to the individual students.

2 comments:

Carissa Anderson said...

Hey Justin! So you lived in Fairfield huh? I went to UC Davis for my undergrad and traveled through Fairfield many a time; it always seemed to be windy there. On a more important level, I really liked what you said about the mission statement including the term "ongoing service." I also believe that teaching is not just a job and that teachers have the power to shape children's minds and shape the children's feelings and conceptions of education in general. Good luck with your future plans!

Sisters Sheeba said...

Nice to have met you yesterday. I enjoyed and can relate to the part about "ongoing commitment" in csusm's mission statement. You're absolutely right in terms of teaching being a nonstop thing; it's more than just another job. Good luck with everything and see you next time for class.